PLEASE NOTE THE UPDATED (POST SNOW STORM) SCHEDULE!
I would like to invite you to join me for a Sunday afternoon study group on the life and writings of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in January and February. I’ve been spending my week between Christmas and New Years immersed in his works and writings about him.
Propelled by his understanding of Jesus’ Kingdom of God, MLK was a prophet sorely needed in his own time and still gravely needed today. Like many of the prophets of the Hebrew Bible, MLK was detested by many in his own lifetime and killed for his words and work. Also like many of the prophets, after his death, he has selectively remembered in the service of those who would use his legacy. In our own time, he is too often just a marble statue and a day-off in January whose vibrant teaching is reduced to inspirational platitudes stripped of the theology which drove that teaching.
I hope to consider with you Dr. King as pastor and theologian, prophet and martyr.
- January 14th: MLK Community Service at UU Church (3:00pm)
- January 21st: Overview and Discussion of his Life and Ministry(5:00pm)
- Monday, January 22nd: Discussion of the film Selma (2:00pm)
- January 28th: Selected Writings and Sermons (5:00pm)
- February 4th: Selected Writings and Sermons (5:00pm)
- February 11th: The Continuing Legacy and Necessity of Rev. Dr. King (5:00pm)
Please come! All are invited!
Grace and Peace,
Leave a Reply